Who Listens to Podcasts? And Why?
Dec 10, 2020 10:41:20 AM
Podcasting is a unique and powerful way to connect with your audience.
But who’s listening? What do we know about the average podcast listener?
Check out these 5 fast facts:
- 67% of podcast listeners are between the ages of 18 and 44 years old. The 45+ demographic is growing, but millennials and gen-Xers are the most avid listeners.
- 48% of people in the U.S. ages 12-34 listen to podcasts at least once a month.
- 27% of U.S. podcast listeners have a 4-year college degree (vs. 19% of the total U.S. population).
- 45% of podcast listeners have a household income above $75,000 annually (vs. 35% for the total population).
- 39% of SMB owners listen to podcasts regularly.
What does it mean?
The raw data gives us more than just an insight into who is listening. It helps us find new ways to connect, and helps us predict what types of content are most likely to resonate with podcast listeners.
Here’s an example:
In a recent episode of “Lights, Camera, Grow,” we chatted with Meghan Keaney Anderson, VP of Marketing at HubSpot. She described a challenge HubSpot had faced in trying to reach a tough audience: C-level business executives.
These individuals are difficult to reach because they aren’t likely to spend time opening links in emails, reading blog posts, and watching videos. Anderson needed to find a better way to get eyes on HubSpot’s content.
That’s where podcasts come in. Anderson realized that an executive’s commute might be the only time to grab their attention. Podcasts are the perfect commuter content, allowing for engaged absorption of a message without the need to view a screen.
Ultimately, Anderson’s team found success by creating a podcast around subjects of interest to C-level execs. They use their podcast to deliver valuable information to their target audience, building a relationship between HubSpot and this niche market.
Are podcasts the right medium for your business?
Podcast listeners are young, educated, and high-earning. They’re looking for content that answers their questions, explores their interests, and delivers information in a format that’s easy to consume.
What could you create to reach this valuable market? Perhaps Tobe’s creative team can help you answer that question. We’ve conceptualized and/or produced podcasts for a vast spectrum of industries and subjects.
Let us help you discover what’s possible. Don’t hesitate to reach out!